More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:25:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello David,

>I have noticed since this discussion started and I am
>paying attention to these things more acutely, that
the >difference between pianos has mostly to do with
the >sound at attack, how the tone develops over time
and the >balance of partials.  It seems that these
should be >measurable without great difficulty with a
full spectrum >analysis, no?

Unfortunately, spectrum analyzers don't do well in
this application.  The various partials change their
relative strengths as time passes and one can only get
a snapshot in time of what the harmonic content was at
the instant of the measurement.  In other words, you
get different results as the tone decays, depending on
when you measure.  Looking in the "time domain" (with
an oscilloscope) holds more promise for identifying
the differences among the various instruments.

Vladan