"Fish"....my best guess...

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:48:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ric,

I recently looked at the scales of the various
Steinway pianos, keeping in mind that the current
practice in scale design aims to keep uniform tension
within a section.  The models B and A - two of the
most coveted S&S pianos - have relatively uneven
tensions in the low tenor.  Yet the pianos do work.  I
have never had a chance to hear instruments with
modified scales side by side, so I can't judge if the
original design improves greatly by rescaling, but I
know that there are many pianos with scales that show
very even tensions and yet I don't like the way they
sound/feel.  Again, it's rarely any one thing that
makes a complex thing work well.

Vladan

=================
I agree completely.  Have never bought into the idea
that there is anything
wrong with the Steinway bass.  Its ... different then
how some other pianos
go about it. And one either likes that difference or
not, to be sure. But to
try declare outright that the Steinway bass is dead,
or that the scaling is
bad...
Cheers
RicB