"Fish"....my best guess...

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:13:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi Terry,

This is standard wave theory.  It applies to many
things we see in nature, from antennas and
electromagnetic radiation, to the propagation of waves
in water, to nuclear physics, and accoustics.
Concpets such as impedance, mismatch and reflection
are routinely used in engineering.  Standing waves and
resonances are just a manifestation of the basic
principle that waves reflect when they encounter an
impedance mismatch.

The "bass reflex" loudspeaker boxes work that way and
the same effect is exploited in sunglasses with a UV
filter.  These are fundamental principles in physics.

Vladan

Terry wrote:

What do you base this on? Does anyone know the origin
of this kind of thinking?

Vladan wrote:

> When the pulse from the string hits the bridge and
> therefore the soundboard, it travels in the board
> until it gets to a place on the board that no longer
> can move because it's attached to the rim or
something
> hard.  There, the pulse reflects and part of it
> travels back towards the bridge.  If you do it
right,
> that returning wave reinforces a later pulse that is
> just entering the board at the bridge.  Obviously,
> that distance and the time required for the round
trip