"Fish"....my best guess...

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:36:39 -0800 (PST)

Terry,
    Please tie a long rope to a wall, stretch it and
pluck it. You can SEE the vibrations bounce off the
wall, and head back your way !!!
     This might be audibly "moot" in piano
construction, on a bridge 2" tall; but it is quite
scientifically demonstrable that vibrations travel
WITH the grain more rapidly than ACROSS it. ( There
goes that "density " thing , again! Gosh! )
     The fact that so many superb manufacturers used
verically laminated bridge cores in the past may
really just be a  sign that they were dedicated to
sqeezing out every drop of energetic efficiency they
could, in what was once a very competitive market.
( And they didn't have the Internet to goof off on,in
1898, absorbing their "time energy"! )
     Thump