cleaning keys

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:09:03 -0800 (PST)

Use a $3 brass pot brush, fine bristles, available at
most grocery stores. Leave the keys on the frame and
brush across the lot of them, then with the length to
finish up.
     If you want cleaner than this, next scrape off
heavy grunge buildsup ( finger poop ) from the sides
with single edxdge razors,  removing as little wood as
possible. Then scrub with Scotch Brite (TM) pads in
denatured alcohol.( Wear gloves and a mask! )  If they
are STILL too cruddy looking, bleach with oxalic acid,
put in a plastic sealed box with an ozone generator (
to remove odors ) and paint with epoxy enamel. ( Plug
bushing slots with an old set of cauls. )
     That ought to be enough.
     If it isn't, knock out the old leads and take
them to a tire store, throw the keys away and buy a
new set for about $3,000.
     Thump