One more tuning question...

Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:46:21 -0000

Hello List, Richard Snelson and Julia of Reading
When is a tuning not a tuning? What constitutes a "tuning"? When is =
A=3D440 more important than A=3D430 or A=3D445... or whatever. It is not =
cheating, in my mind, to tune a piano "to its own pitch" if the client =
hasn't the wherewithall to pay! One does one's best under all =
circumstances and advises the client accordingly. Here in the UK we do =
not have those almighty seasonal changes you people in the USofA  have =
to contend with, and the pianos seem to stay pretty well in tune - given =
that quality and conditions always apply. All the pianos at the Opera =
House I tune for are tuned once a week - it is a continuing problem that =
the pitch might move over the course of time. But we concentrate on the =
worst offenders and simply "touch up" the unisons etc. of the rest. It =
must be understood here that there are only about three hours to go =
round all twenty-five pianos. So rehearsal pianos are tuned in rotation =
three days a week during the Season. One day is for the A=3D430 pianos =
and another for the A=3D440. (For the A=3D415 operas the repetiteur is =
obliged to play an A=3D440 piano down a semi-tone. Now that's  quite a =
challenge! Sight reading at the drop of a hat a semi-tone lower...!) The =
third three-hour day is spent on the awkward pianos which can really =
move in pitch due to the doors to the outside being left open etc. I =
know one of them will start the season at A=3D440 but by the end it will =
have risen to A=3D446+-. No one complains unless the unisons go out or a =
piano goes dramatically out of tune. Pianos used with the orchestra or =
for a stage rehearsal are tuned rigorously to A=3D440 on the day of the =
rehearsal or performance. I have sometimes found the chorus using an =
A=3D430 piano on a rehearsal stage - they just weren't aware it was not =
at A=3D440! So... Unless you have perfect pitch (an awful complaint) =
pitch does not seem to be of paramount importance ...... away from the =
orchestra!
Regards
Michael G.(UK)----- Original Message -----=20