One more tuning question...

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 06:35:39 -0500

IMHO, floating the pitch is always something to be considered. However, it
should absolutely be addressed with the piano
owner/pianist/whomever-is-willing-to-take-responsibility. They need to make
the decision how important A440 (or whatever) is to them. Clearly, someone
playing in their home alone, will likely benefit from floating the pitch.
Clearly, a piano in any level of performance setting that is played with
other instruments, choir, etc. is going to benefit from a pitch adjustment,
if needed. But someone needs to decide if it is worth paying for!

For me, in my locale, the pitch thing is not a big issue. We just don't have
the seasonal fluctuations in RH that other areas have. When I float the
pitch on an instrument that I tune on a regular basis (at least once per
year), I'm staying between A442 and A439. If the piano is flatter than that,
I know it needs a pitch raise, because I know it will not rise significantly
in pitch at any other season of the year.

It must be tough rastling with pianos in Duluth!

Terry Farrell