Really, Really Gradual Descent Fallboard

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:17:35 EST

In a message dated 2/20/05 7:02:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
custos3@comcast.net writes:

Has anyone  encountered a problem with one of those gradual-descent
fallboards  freezing? I have a customer with a 7 ft. Bosendorfer with one of
those who  really has to push down very hard to close the fallboard - and
then really  crank on it to get it open again. For what that thing cost, I
suspect that  the fallboard should work. The piano is probably out of
warranty - it's  the second owner. Not knowing how those mechanisms work, I
hesitate to  start pumping lubricants into them. The only other bit of data
I can add  is that the piano lives in a cool, moist, foggy environment.
Anyone have  any idea how to deal with this?

Hi Israel,

If it's the same one that they have in Seiler grands, there should be a
small hex-head screw (I think it's a 3 mm) on the side of the fallboard where  the
mechanism is.  Try to back it out and see if it works a little  better.

Tell your customer NOT to force the fallboard down.  The reason I know  about
this mechanism is because I have a customer who tried to aid the descent  of
the fallboard and ended up causing delamination of the wood and stripped the
screw holes that hold the mechanism in place by pushing too exuberantly.

Thanks for your instruction at the technical institute last weekend!

Dave Stahl