cleaning keys

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:22:28 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I use a fine-bristle brass pot brush, with the
grain and dipped in lacquer thinner, to scrub out the
old filler/stripper goop that can cause REAL PROBLEMS
in the new finish, due to solvent residues.
( Remember--strippers are DESIGNED  not to have their
solvents evaporate quickly! )
      Then, after wiping off residue with more lacquer
thinner on paper towels, I dtermine if bleachiung will
be necessary, then sand LIGHTLY - -just enough to
remove fuzz- and start the new stain and finish
application.
     This, I believe, is the best way to get a
gorgeous finish with minimal damage to the veneer. I
have never noticed any damage using the fine-bristle
brush, yet it gets down into the pores and cleans them
nicely.
     Try it on a piece of junk piano if you are
dubious.
     Thump