Perof grand damper levers

Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:15:20 +0100

Thanks Arnold and Quentin for the replies

The captans are a thing sometimes I wish had not been installed. You run
into so many that have been adjusted to creat even pedal lift instead of
the job they were meant for.  And if properly regulated... I am
unconvinced the  resulting even lift at half blow is worth their cost.

But these swiveled wire holders I hadnt come up with before. In this
instrument, the whole damper system needs a complete redoing to, and
here too it seemed evident that the swivels can also be used to
compensate wires bent badly.  I suppose thats a good idea given that
many modern players dink around with the dampers so much in applying
stickers, or preparing the grand for some other devices for making sound.

Cheers
RicB

Hi Richard.

The swiveled wire holder is a  great thing and should be standard  on
all grand's.
Among other things the chance of binding wires in the damper guide hole
while lifting the damper is minimized and that is good thing.
As with the damper lever capstan you have to regulate the wires as if
those extra's (capstan swiveled wire holder) are not there to get the
best result. Don't use it as an easy quick way to do sloppy work.

Arnold