Robins Post, was CC etc.

Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:50:35 +0100

Thanks Robin, for allowing for  a two sided perspective in all this.

The list would perhaps be interested to know that I had a very nice chat
with Ron O on the telephone yesterday. I called him to express my
regrets at the way things had develope and to convey to him my own
wishes for his return, and great respect for his work.  The ensuing
conversation was actually quite refreshing, revealing once again the
weaknesses of the written word only in commincation.  It is so easy to
jump onto that single phrase or sentence and let that dominate the
reading of an entire post.  In anycase we were able to in a very
freindly way make the nature of our concerns over this whole SB issue
clear to one another. And, I also think, we left the conversation
feeling comforted because of the effort.

It might suprise some of you to know that I would take the same position
if someone from Steinway came and in similiar fashion attempted to
justify their way of going about things as the one and only best.  I
remember my first convention in Washington DC a few years back. I
attended the all day Steinway session and came out of the affair with
the feeling that I had been to a revival meeting instead of a technical
seminar.  It is so easy for people to get affected by the <<flock>>
mentality. And that holds true no matter who we decide to hold up in
idolic manner at any given time.  And that is the jist of my own
passion.  Like Ron,  I do not think the continuation of any godlike aura
surrounding Steinway pianos  is good for the industry. But then by the
same token, I dont see that any piano building philosophy  could take on
that role with any different result. I fail to see that that constitutes
being a trouble maker, or a destructive element.  What can I say... I
dont believe, and indeed react strongly to anything that smacks of <<one
way brother>>.  On the other hand...    things are not more complicated
or involved then this.

I'll end this expressing my hope as well that Ron O returns to our
throng, as I did on the phone with him. And by reminding one and all
that my intentions were not do discourage anyone from going forward in
any direction they wish.  Quite the opposite, be your name Steinway,
Kawaii, Overs, Petrof... who ever... they all deserve that same
encouragement. Despite the sometimes hivelike nature of human kind,
each piano does indeed speak for itself... has a voice of its own.

Thats me.

RicB