Bead blasting cabinet (was cleaning keys)

Greg Graham grahampianos@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:51:32 -0800 (PST)

The topic of bead blasting has been well covered in
the archives and the journal.  I simplified a few
details on my cabinet, if you are interested.  Photos
attached are low resolution.  I can send you more
detailed photos individually by request.

What I did differently:
Instead of a metal frame, I used 2x2s.  Instead of 3/4
ply, I used 1/4 for front, back, top, and larger
sloped bottom pieces, but 3/4 for the smaller side
slopes and the door.  Cutting the thicker ply at a
compound angle for the smaller sides gives good glue
surface and eliminates fancy wood blocking in the
corners.
I purchased the smallest blasting outfit available and
tossed the sand hopper.  I used the siphon fitting,
hose, and gun, and added a small bucket with a
strainer screen under the bottom of the cabinet.  Easy
to store, easy to change media, easy to build.
Instead of a shop vac, which is loud and recirculates
the air back into the shop, I used a blower and dryer
duct to suck out the dust and exhaust it to the
exterior of the building.
I used a 3/4 ply door with foam weatherstrip, held
shut snuggly by a wooden cam latch I shaped with my
bandsaw.  Simple, cheap, effective.
The photo of the interior shows the 2x2 "joists" that
support the work over the hopper.  I have a piece of
expanded metal that covers the 2x2s, but removed it so
you could see the hopper.

Any questions, let me know.
Greg Graham

http://mail.yahoo.com