general finishing question

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:12:12 -0600

Subject: FW: general finishing question

I do not do major sanding after the filler.  First, I stain like it will be.
Then, I give a thinned wash-coat of shellac, apply black paste wood filler,
remove it with a credit card or razor blade.  Do only a good scrub with
burlap and very fine sanding just to get the dirt.  I like the look the
orange shellac gives to fine wood.  This should leave you with a surface
ready to finish.  Yes ,you can spray lacquer over shellac if you mist on the
first couple of coats and dry it fast.  If you lay down a heavy coat
everything crackles by the time it dries.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis

Have you tried the new 2# cut from Zinser (spelling)?  It is guaranteed wax
free and may be used under any film finish.  I've yet to have a failure
using it as a sealer.  Top coats may be applied as usual.

Paul C