S&S voicing picture

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:02:04 -0800

Hi,

At 11:55 AM 2/22/2005, you wrote:

>On 22-feb-05, at 20:49, Quentin Codevelle wrote:
>
>>Hello list,
>>
>>I've looked at the steinway&sons website for technical information.
>>
>>I read all the technical explaination, and I found a picture of a tech=20
>>who is voicing a hammer.
>>
>>On the picture (included at the end of this message), we clearly see that=
=20
>>the hammer has an impregnation on its basis, around the staple area.
>>
>>All the recent Hamburg Steinways I've seen have regular hammers, with no=
=20
>>impregnation at all.
>>
>>Is it one of the differencies between NY and Hamburg actions?
>>
>>I've seen old NY Steinways with a yellow underfelt and an impregnation,=20
>>but I thought that today's steinway hammers were impregnation-free.
>>
>>Thanks for your help on this !
>>
>>Quentin
>><voicing.jpg>_______________________________________________
>>pianotech list info:=20
>><https://www.moypiano.com/resources/#archives>http://www.ptg.org/mailman/=
listinfo/pianotech=20

>I can't speak for the NY Steinways, but all the Hamburgers have Wurzen=20
>Renners without impregnation.
>It might be just an older picture.

It appears to be a fairly recent photo.  There is still this kind of=20
impregnation being used by NY; and, the technician appears to be using a=20
Yamaha-style voicing tool and hammer rest (the wood piece visible under the=
=20
hammershank.  This latter support piece appears to be in place backwards;=20
that is, with the thicker edge toward the hammer flange, rather than toward=
=20
the hammer head.

Best.

Horace