What the Hell?!!!

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:53:36 -0500

Joe,

This pin seems to be standard on new Renner parts. I saw one for the first
time when I visited Bosendorfer a few months ago, and had to replace a
broken flange. I asked them what the purpose was for the ring. They said it
helps to prevent the center pin from sliding out, because the wood in the
flange will swell into the ring. Renner does not supply those center pins
for service purposes, so I used one of my own center pins to make the
repair. Imagine a new Bosendorfer with a non-metric center pin! They didn't
seem to care.

Jerry Cohen, RPT

NJ Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:38 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: What the Hell?!!!

Sorry for the profane subject, but that was my reaction to something and I
thought I'd share.<G>

Just started Re-Pinning Renner Shanks and Flanges for the 1867 Chickering
Action.....popped out the first pin, on a too low friction flange: There's a
ridge cut into the center of the center pin. It's a sharp edged groove!
Yikes! (said I.<G>) Must be a machining boo-boo, as these pins are machined
to the specific length/diameter! (says I to myself, out loud!).......NOT!
I've extracted over a dozen and every darned one is that way! Double Yikes!
Any thoughts on why in hell this "new innovation"? The only thing that I can
see that it does, is screw up the Birds-eye, as it has sharp edges. Have any
of you run into this before? Weird, to say the least! It's bad enough, they
insist on the "graphite impregnated bushing cloth".....now this! Sheesh!

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I