One more tuning question...

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:11:31 -0700

Dear Julie,
I did a 60-100 cent pitch-raise on a Wurlitzer.  The RH was 80% at 65
degrees F.  The estimated overpull ended up a little much for a studio
upright and the mid section ended up in a curve up to 4 cents over ideal
pitch across the middle of the scale (that's likely to be gone when the
temperature is turned up for weekend services).  I left it there.  I called
for another fine tuning in 2-3 months.  By then things will have dried up
and the piano will be close to needing another pitch-raise anyway.  I also
recommended a DC system.  This church bought its piano years ago and hadn't
had it tuned since.  (Only instrumentalist they have is a violinist so
matching pitch isn't a problem.)

I have been called back a couple weeks after a tuning because the piano was
sharp.  I had recorded the RH at that time and checked it at this time, 10%
more.  Had a good informative discussion and sold a DC and an emergency
tuning.  Those woodwind guys are real particular about pitch.

I always tune to A440 but am quick to admit that it is going out of tune as
soon as I let go of the hammer (slowly usually, climate steady, that
is).  If the climate is controlled, it won't be going up.  If it isn't, it
may.  That's life.  What is nice is coming back to the same piano again and
again and finding it more stable and consistent as it gets used to being in
"correct" tune.
When you measure RH at each tuning you can give some thought to floating a
tuning, I haven't yet.  The thing of it is, humidity induced pitch changes
don't happen smoothly across the board.  So you fix the stretch to match
that A4=441.5.  It's going to be a "Picasso tuning" when the board dries
out.  Pulling the high tension portions of the scale down is easy, but is
it desirable?  Perhaps the likely usage and customer's budgetary
considerations play a role in the decision-making.  I like being able to
say that in a certain window in time the pitch was extremely close to the
theoretical ideal.  Problem is pianos don't live in a theoretical
world.  One rainy week later that tuning can be quite a bit sharp and a
three month long dry-spell can do horrendous things to your ideal tuning.

Perhaps a few of the floating pitch gurus could chime in on what works and
what really does happen when it "works".

Andrew