Who gets the bill?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:58:06 EST

The scenario:  middle class couple buys expensive German grand --after  weeks
of haggling with dealer (who I happen to contract for--for a low  price.

First tuning July 2004, paid by dealer.  No problems with piano.

Second tuning 6 months later(January 2005): I notice that some weak
repetition springs are causing action problems.  I increase tension on a  few, but am
limited by time.  Problems seem to be cured.

Yesterday:  Call from customer complaining that 10 year  old son  is having
trouble with certain notes on Fur Elise not repeating.  I arrange  a time to
check out the piano today after my last job, which is fortunately only  about
half a mile from his house.

When I arrive at the domicile, I find that rep springs are so weak, that
they can't even come close to holding a hammer line.  I set about doing a
blanket rough regulation of them when I notice that the problem still exists in
some of the notes I've already done.  So I check balancier height.   Repetition
levers are below the tip of the jack!  So I do a blanket  regulation of the
balancier height, and voila, problem is gone.  I reset  hammer line and start to
make out a bill.

Here's the question:  who do I give the bill to?  I don't feel  it's the
customer's responsibility, as it's virtually a new piano, with no  environmental
factors involved that could possibly cause such changes in  regulation as to
render the piano virtually unplayable.  Should it  be the dealer, who really
doesn't prep the pianos particularly well?   Normally, this particular brand
comes into the store in very good  shape with need for only minimal tweaking.  And
given the price  paid by the customer, the store was likely even less
inclined than  normal to service the piano thoroughly.

Should it be the manufacturer?  How far does their responsibility  go?

Though I generally prefer to go through the manufacturer, I'm inclined to
give the bill to the dealer and let them discuss financial  responsibility with
the manufacturer.  The bottom line is, I don't  really care, as long as I get
paid.

What think you all?  Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, revelations, and  other
bursts of insight!

Dave Stahl