upright balance weight

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:02:03 -0500

I don't know what might be a good BW for an upright. I have lots of =
questions about balancing an upright action. Rumors have it that David =
Stanwood is looking into upright action balancing. In your case you have =
a lot of UW, if you don't have too much lead in the keys now, you could =
add a little lead to the front of the key to get the DW down to 50g or =
so and still have over 30g UW. How does the capstan/wippen-heel-cushion =
interface line up - would moving the capstan help or hinder? Also, what =
is the status of you butt springs - the tension there will affect things =
also.

Do you have a picture of your Knabe? 1890s Knabes are just awesome!

Terry Farrell

  What would be optimal balance weight for an upright?

  My searching has revealed a suggested lower 40's. I have a 56 gDW, =
37gUW.  friction is ~10 grams. 46gBW.

  I'm thinking I need a 4 gram drop in BW. Sure I know it's just an =
upright but I want performance. I'm thinking capstan move.

  Kpiano