Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:11:41 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Terry=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 7:48 AM
  Subject: Re: Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

  "At the best 100 cents flat is the best to aim for with this sad,sad =
piano".=20

  Why?

  Terry Farrell
    Yes , Why?
        Tighten plate screws as possible, Lube pressure bar-V bar with =
protek (Not on Bass strings)pull a few strings in each section up to =
test for breakage.=20
        If they all break(unlikely) regroup and tune at a lower =
pitch.Judgement call time here along with your client.
        Either aural or electronic ,I would pull it right to 440 as fast =
as possible. --20 minutes tops. Whatever strings break will break then.
        Pull out the action --if it has bridles!-replace your strings if =
nec.-take the time to tighten action screws.
        Action back in --approach your now 30-50 cent flat  piano as you =
would any flat instrument.=20
        I use the Defebaugh- Coleman anticipated drop pitch raise method =
with an acutuner .
        I certainly have left older pianos below pitch for lots of =
reasons, (like string breakage issues and clients without resources )
        But being that flat is not necessarily a barrier to tuning to =
440
       =20
        Good luck,
        Tom Driscoll