Uncle Sam and "freedoms". ( Was ear candling )

Andrew Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:24:23 -0700

David,

Here's a reminder on how to post off-topic:  It should be posted
to pianotech-ot@ptg.org instead of pianotech@ptg.org.  Folks who
want to post non-piano related information should rest assured that
anyone who is interested in reading the off-topic posts has subscribed
to pianotech-ot.  The rest of the pianotech membership is expecting
on-topic stuff only on pianotech@ptg.org.

Unfortunately, we do not have the staff to enforce this by full-time
list moderation.  We try to catch off-topic stuff here and there using
some simple matching rules, but ultimately it is up to the list subscribers
to stay on-topic and post off-topic stuff elsewhere.

As an experiment, I did full-time moderation of pianotech for a couple weeks
a while ago and the response was overwhelmingly positive -- people are really
tired of wading through the off-topic posts.  When I created the pianotech-ot
list (and announced it twice), less than two percent of the pianotech
membership subscribed.  But those are the people who want to read the off-topic
stuff, so everyone please post it there (or anywhere else) but not on
pianotech.

-andy