veneer over soundboards

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:36:13 -0800

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ron & Lorene Shiflet
  Sent: February 24, 2005 5:53 PM
  To: Piano-Tech
  Subject: veneer over soundboards

  I tore apart 2 Lester spinets.  The one made in '46 had a solid spruce
soundboard and several cracks.  The one made in '57 appeared to be a nice
flawless spruce board with no cracks.  I very carefully removed it.  It
turned out to be a plywood soundboard covered with a beautiful grainy veneer
on both sides.  Perhaps that's why it had no cracks?  Perhaps that's also
why it had the tone it did.

  Today, my son is gutting an old Kimball spinet with a mahogany soundboard.
It too turns out to be veneer over plywood.  Tomorrow we'll get into a Story
and Clark console with the famous "Storytone" soundboard, made of mahogany.
I may prove to be wrong but I have a suspicion that I'm going to find
mahogany veneer over plywood.

What do you mean by "veneer over plywood?" Plywood soundboard panels (or, if
you want to use the expensive word, laminated soundboard panels) are usually
three-ply. A core material of some kind with front and back veneers, usually
biased at 90º.

Del