Rescaling GH1 tenor section

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:28:40 -0800

Matt,
I did exactly that, back in the late 70's, (at the request of Yamaha, I =
might add.<G>). It is definately the way to go. You will need to change =
the plain wire to wound on the tenor bridge. It's been a while since =
I've done one of these, (I've done several, al with excellent results!) =
As I recall, the first 6 notes on the long bridge need to be wound. I =
still have the scale data, somewhere in my 'puter cobwebs, but I'd have =
to search for it.
It is not necessary to modify the bridge in any way. just use the =
outside bridge pins of each note, leaving the center blank. Also, the =
same for the tuning pins. As I recall, I left the "blank" tuning pin in =
place, so that it had a nice appearance. You will have to add som hitch =
pins. As I sent all of my schematics/blueprints to Yamaha, I don't have =
a copy of the hitch pin pattern. It's fairly easy to  figure out where =
they need to be added. It is suggested that you add the hitch pins =
BEFORE ordering the strings, so that all dimensions of tails, winding =
start/finish, will be correct.=20
You may be able to get all this info, plus the exact strings, from =
Yamaha, but I don't know wether they consider this an "antique" piano =
and would want to be bothered. They do have all of the information, as I =
presented it, hopefully. After all they did pay me to do the research on =
it.<G> Since that time they used the info on their next version of the =
GH-1 and then for some darned reason, changed it two more times, (not =
for the better, either, IMHO)!
One big caution: The original GH-1 had little or not support beams, so =
the piano is really squirrely! Remove only the absolute minimum strings =
to access the area for hitch pins etc.! It will go 20+ cents sharp when =
you do this! Not to worry. Once you have the new strings on and tuned, =
the darned thing will go right back to pitch, (pre-work pitch)! Go =
figger.<G>
Once the work is done, you'll probably have to correct the "voicing" =
that was previously, (and to no avail), done, in that section. Once that =
is taken care of, you'll love how nice that "transition" can be, for a =
small piano.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police