Glue pinblock plugs

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:05:20 -0800

Hi,Terry! I'm very sorry for misinformation,it was late and before Jerry Springer,my apologies.. The hole pre-drilled for  1/2" plug must be 31/64",not 63/65".which is just 1/64 uinder 1/2"..I'm glad you caught it. Best regards. Isaac

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry
To: Pianotech
Sent: 2/25/05 4:12:12 AM
Subject: Re: Glue pinblock plugs

Ahhhh. Good point. Thanks, I did miss that. Okay, I take back most of what I said! I wonder though, a plug that needs a 63/64" hole? Why such a large plug? I've used half-inch diameter plugs in the past - they seemed more than big enough.

Terry Farrell

I think you missed what he was saying, Terry. The lock was to keep it from spinning before the glue set up. It allows drilling the next hole (which will overlap the new plug) before the glue dries without worrying that the new plug will rotate.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

FWIW, I'd sure question the integrity of any glue joint that required a physical lock to keep the glue joint from failing. If the glue joint may not hold, then you should seek an alternative approach, IMHO.

Terry Farrell
Terry! Here is a simple technic to insert plugs in pin blocks.It was shown to me by late Dennis Nicholson,RPT.
Step 1:drill larger hole,63/64"
Step 2:apply Titebond glue to both surfaces
Step 3:insert the plug in the hole,level it with the face of the pinblock.
Step4: with the drill 7/32" drill a hole 1/2" deep so half of the hammer shank hole is in the plug and the other half in the pin block.
Step 5:apply glue to a hammer shank and drive 1/2" piece of hammershank in that hole.
now that piece of hammershank acts a s a LOCK and prevents new plug from spinning around when drilling a new hole for  tuning pin.You can start drilling hole for tuning pin immidiately,no waiting overnight for glue to cure.THis is old woodworking technic and there are severall more applications for it in our line of work

I hope,i made this description clear.If any questions,feel free to call me 818-706-0429
GOOD LUCK! Isaac

Is epoxying  the best way to fix these plugs ore are there better glues?
Thanks for some advice.

Pierre