Modifying the GH-1 Tenor break

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:01:33 -0500

It seemed apparent that the original poster was not familiar with =
rescaling. I thought it appropriate to outline the various =
possibilities.=20

I agree, best to start with a big piano - but for a variety of reasons, =
some folks don't want to. Also, rescaling and other modifications can =
have a proportionately larger benefit on the smaller piano.=20

And if you read my post, I merely said that he would want to consider =
adding a transition bridge - I wasn't saying it was the only way to go. =
There are often many ways/levels to improve a piano. If someone doesn't =
know what the options are, I think it is a good thing to expose them to =
a range of possibilities.

BTW, I am in the midst of implementing a complete Del Fandrich redesign =
of a Baldwin M microgrand (5' 2"). It's getting a complete new string =
scale, new bridges, transition bridge, bass and treble soundboard =
cut-offs, Del's rib array, plate modifications, new action, etc., etc. =
Would it have been better to start with a bigger piano? Sure. But this =
is grandma's piano and the only piano that will ever be in the owners =
home - and she wants a very good performing piano - so why not?

When someone is not real familiar with piano modifications, IMHO, it is =
a disservice to suggest there is only one way to do it.

Terry Farrell

  Terry wrote: "Hmmmm, you'd likely notice a significant improvement in =
the transtion, =3D
  but to experience "how nice" a transition can be, you'd want to =
consider =3D
  adding a transition bridge - or more!

  Terry,
  Try to see things in the Real World, my friend. Yes, you can add a =
transition bridge AND you get relieve the s.b. for the bass AND.....yada =
yada.=20
  The original post gave me the impression that this is apiano that is =
being used and is NOT in a shop to be "fixed".=20
  Besides, on small pianos like the GH-1, let's face it, they're Cheap =
imitations of the real grands that are essentially intended to be =
ornamental! The "H" stands for HOME! (Meaning, affluent non-player types =
that want to add eye candy to their opulant surroundings!) The market =
value on all "baby grands" is lousy, so why get carried away with all =
that other B.S.? For the money spent, a person would be far better off =
to get a nice 5'8"+ beater and have a good rebuilder make something good =
out of it, IMHO. Sheesh!=20
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I