Was Gh-1 rescale------Other pianos at the Calif. convention

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:02:13 EST

Terry
 I played them. Both Darrell Fandrich  pianos. The upright looks like 50
inches. The incredible Fandrich upright  action plays like a grand , really & this
is not the first time  I've experienced this but still a delight. Really Good
tonal range. A fine  upright.
   The Grand is roughly 6 ft. Again good balance of  sound. Full bodied sound
& Not tinny like so many these days..  Excellent sustain. Darrel & his wife
are VERY   congenial people. He & I talked at length about  piano items
especially soundboard  items.  He sold the upright to  folks in Santa Cruz.
  The Charles Walters uprights &  grands I can also recommend in a minute.
Nicely done. My examination was not  extensive as I was greatly distracted but I
liked what I saw.
 I also saw /played a redesigned Steinway O By  Dale Fox of Sac. Dale is a
friend & consumate craftsman. Beautiful  ebony finish. The inner rim was
re-veneered in a natural stripy looking kind of  wood. The same stripe just above the
legs. Very exotic. Beautiful fanned rib  board redesign. He was not done
tweaking the bearing  but it but it sounded  strong & excellent sustain as well..
It was so noisy at the time. I was  disappointed to not have more time & quiet
with it.
  My friend Sally Phillips of Bechstein  Had a very strong showing of grands.
I like these pianos. Not being at all  exposed to these pianos before I was
delighted with the attention to detail. I  liked the Basic sounds very much
though I wanted to do some voicing to get  them  to fill out. Interestingly the
Bechstein Has Tall  ribs & you guessed it great sustain & balance & no
weakness  in the trebles Big Rich sound.  All the German pianos were  meticously
crafted.
 The Steingrubber Another impressively  gorgeous piano visually & tonally had
a huge amount of  soundboardboard acerage behind the trebles octaves. Room
for a giant fish....  naahh. Very intentional.
  Sauter was also displayed & there  9 ft was impressive in that huge hall. I
thought it was another Steinway  D when it first cranked up.
  The new Baldwin Yawn.
  The Premier showing of the  New Mason  CC 9 ft 4" was Also very impressive
in many ways  & I  could hear great potential but it honestly was not prepped
well yet. ( Not just  my opinion but many) Very green & I understand this. A
concert grand is like  a race horse you, prep it ,primp & work with it till it
gets on the fast  track. Two Resonators!!!!!!!!!
    With Some fastidious voicing & string  cleanup etc  this piano will turn
heads. Huge Bass. When it gets refined  I'd like to hear it in concert again.
Congratulations to the Mason & Hamlin  team. It took quite an effort.  It's
the first new  American Concert  grand produced on about 50 years.
   Dale Erwin

What kind of pianos were there? What  size? Whose were they? What was done to
them?

Curious minds......

Terry Farrell

Several of us played and examined the Fandrich  small grands at the
California conference. For the sound and the action,  they are VERY impressive.
Wouldn't mind having one in my living room.

I wonder what those boys could do with a Yamaha body and  plate.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem,  Missouri