One more tuning question...

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:56:47 -0400

Depends where you are. Here the humidity can be from the low 20's in the Winter, to 90's in the Summer.
At the university, they insist on tuning September and January.
In September, I lower them about 1/3 ST above the break. In January, I raise them the amount I lowered them in September.
No they won't put in DC systems, and no they don't want them floated.
The ones for concerts and recitals are done 1-4 times a month, and sometimes an extra tuning will be done on one of the Profs. I am contracted, and not full time.
So it may have been tuned properly, and you just hit a different season, from when it had been tuned previously.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:46 PM
  Subject: Re: One more tuning question...

  In a message dated 2/20/05 3:32:50 AM Pacific Standard Time, terry@farrellpiano.com writes:

    >     Floating pitch is not IMHO dishonest but again, IMHO short
    >sighted. I'm now dealing with a University about an hour from me which
    >could really benefit from floating the pitch as the humidity fluctuation.........

  I am not talking 2 to 7 cents here, I know what floating pitch is ...I float the pitch in the summer and winter. No.......I am talking a REGULAR tuner, who, at churches and schools, has a card IN these pianos with all their tuning dates on it and the piano is 20 to 50 cents FLAT!!!!!!    I am livid over it.

  Julia