cleaning keys

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:32:22 -0800 (PST)

"Dunking" is a better term than "Soaking". I use
"Purple Power", available at my automotive paint store
as a pre-painting degreaser, for $3/gallon. But
"Super-Clean" is the original version of these many
generic ultra-powerful soaps, bought out by castrol
and now available at Pep Boys and Wal
( BLECH! )  Mart, etc..
    Wear mask, gloves, goggles anbd protective
clothing. This stuff will disolve you if allowed to
sit. Some guy here let it drip into his sneakers and
ended up at the hospital.
    Dunk action parts, swish around a  bit, rinse with
hose blast( taking off old action felts simultaneously
) lay on screen and dry, flipping occassionally. I
have never seen any sign of warpage from doing this.
     Re-felt, Lube with Protec, test centers and put
back in piano. Just watch out for the one or two
pieces in an action that may have been milled from a
laid-up board, and come apart in the rinse.
( Not serious.)
     Actions come out very clean, light-colored and
almost odor free. Follow up with ozone tent if still
at all stinky ( mousey actions ).
     Thump