which lubes?

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:16:09 -0800

Jason,

Don't you just love it when that happens?   Protek/Goose Juice=
 all understring felt.  The only trick that works is making as=
 little change as possible which means it has to be at pitch and=
 in the ballpark.  That may take awhile.

Lubricating centers is a 5 minute job.   Why would you consider=
 making it complex?   Everything evaporates except the lube in=
 the bushing cloth.  No matter how carefully you were to apply it=
 you're still going to get it on the wood...

David I.

Original message
From: jason kanter
To: Pianotech
Subject: which lubes?

Couple of questions have arisen for me.

Steinway upright, 1883, 20 cent pitch raise. In the high treble,=
 I had an awful time getting the tension to move across the=
 pressure bars. Pull, pound, pull, pound, pull, whack - no=
 movement - gently pull a little more - string suddenly goes to 5=
 cents sharp. Lower, whack, lower, whack - no movement south -=
 suddenly the string is 5 cents flat. Sigh. Pull, pull, etc.=
 What's the best lube for the region of the string between the=
 pin and the speaking length?

The other situation is grand hammer flanges. WHen they need some=
 alcohol or some Protek lube or whatever, what's the neatest way=
 to apply the liquid without sacrificing effectiveness? Choices=
 I've tried are:
(1) Spray from 1", left to right at an angle and right to left at=
 an angle, basically thereby soaking the whole flange in liquid=
 and getting the bushings wet. Messy. Not particularly=
 efficient.
(2) Remove every other hammer/flange. Treat the removed ones over=
 a towel, putting a few drops on each bushing and working the=
 flange back and forth. Treat the others still attached to the=
 action, tipping the action up on end, putting a few drops on=
 each bushing, tipping the action the other way and repeating.=
 Then replace all the removed hammer flanges. The hammer-string=
 alignment is preserved by the hammers that were not removed.=
 This is time-consuming, and seems inherently uneven because the=
 flanges that are removed get slightly different treatment from=
 those that are not removed.
(3) Remove them all. Creates an additional issue in hammer-string=
 alignment, takes longer, but gives the greatest control over the=
 work.

Thanks in advance. /Jason

(ps. I am embarrassed to admit that when I was apprenticed in=
 1970-71 to Sheldon Smith, the technique I learned was to slather=
 everything with WD-40. This was my first introduction to WD-40=
 and Sheldon obviously thought it was great stuff. I am sure he=
 abandoned that practice upon revisiting some of these poor=
 pianos.)
Jason Kanter . piano tuning, regulation & repair
jkanter@rollingball.com .. cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans