Flange Rebushing

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:55:31 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_L7ojgnUaD/e1+5P6WR0mcQ)

John M. Ross  Flange Bush Cloth Calibration Tool - 1855
      This handy tool sizes bushing cloth prior to installation.

      I find this tool from Renner to be
      a good help.

Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Keith Roberts
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 10:40 PM
  Subject: Re: Flange Rebushing

  First get your bushing cloth ripped to the right width. If it keeps breaking when you pull it through or it's too easy to pull, these are your indicators. Trim the cloth to a long point and I use my needle nose pliers to grab the cloth the roll them against the flange to pull very evenly. Only a small amount comes through with each roll of the pliers. Feed it through the other side of the flange and keep pulling through until you have enough cloth to grab it with your hand and pull it all the way to almost the end. A SMALL dab of glue and pull the cloth on in cut it off long and jam a #20 pin in and let dry.  Use a tack like the ones used to hang the damp chaser rod, it's .050" or a #20 and the sharp tip makes it easy to slide in. When the glue dries, trim the excess felt off and assemble the flange with the right pin and size the bushing to the pin with  30% water/ alcohol. When it dries it's the right fit. Don't force dry it.

  If you need them to work now. Ream a size smaller than the pin you are using, put the pin in and heat the tip with a lighter, 7 count. Work the flange, Burnishes it.

  Keith Roberts
    Got a question regarding rebushing action centers - I have done only very little of this. Is it best to install the cloth and then ream and pin, or is it a good thing to install the cloth and insert a pin at the same time to size the bushing? Seems like I need to stipulate a whole bunch more particulars, but that is the essential question.

    Terry Farrell

--Boundary_(ID_L7ojgnUaD/e1+5P6WR0mcQ)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--Boundary_(ID_L7ojgnUaD/e1+5P6WR0mcQ)--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 1855_th.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 3137 bytes