Stein-D rolled bridge

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:41:32 -0500 (EST)

   Approx. 3 year old Steinway D
   Appears to have a severely rolled bridge.

Measurements.......
  With a dial gauge I measure plus 10 at the back
and 0 at the front at about D4. At about D5 0 bearing.
Most readings are lower at the front then back
throughout.

  So I call in a friend with a proper bubble gauge who
gets results consistent with mine. At D4 plus 24 at
back, negative 12 front.

  Of added significance may be that the bass bridge
has roll; Negative 15 front, on second highest bass
bridge note.

  What motivated me to measure was buzzing back scale
on the chrome plates, as if the rear of the bridge
had lifted enough to eliminate good contact with the
plate. Termination points do not stay seated, more
buzzing has appeared over the winter.

  There is still some crown on the board, as seen
by a stretched string, but the bridge has rolled
forward.

Questions

   This is a relatively new piano, so a warranter
issue.
What should be done?
What is likely to be suggested?
What arguments can be had against half measures?

   If they suggest just recapping the bridges.
They should do it; correct?
Would such a solution be a band aid to a more serious
soundboard problem?