The oft neglected Damper Guide Rail

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:04:41 -0500

List,
         I want to share with you 2 recent encounters which temporarily
baffled me. The first was a ringing sound that sounded like an improperly
seated damper head on a string. Which string I couldn't figure out since a
few tests on each damper revealed no problems. Finally tightening the
damper guide rail screws fixed the erroneous ringing. The second was a buzz
not unlike something sitting on the soundboard or even a loose bridge pin.
I've never had a loose guide rail produce a buzz before since they're
mostly all felted underneath. Well this one was too but tightening the
screws also fixed this problem. These were two very different issues but
tightening the guide rail screws fixed them both. Might be worth a moment
or two of your time during your next trouble shooting effort.

best,
Greg

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Forté