Yamahas C7 out of the box

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:52:43 +0100

Hi folks.

Having just been to the Yamaha Acadamies GP and Masters courses this
past few months in Hamamatsu, I'm rather familiar with what the Acadamy
folks expect from one of their grands. And a C7 is one of their better
offerings so I expect they'd be rather picky about most things.

Saturday and yesterday I had the opportunity to open one of these up on
the floor of the local dealer, something I havent done much of since my
Sherman and Clay days in Seattle, and I was really shocked at the amount
of prep work needed to get this thing operative. We are talking about 15
hours solid prep work to come reasonable close to concert regulation,
tuning, and voiceing.  No way this was carefully voiced in the remotest
sense of the word. They just dont get that uneven and remain so harshly
bright from sitting in the box for a while. Regulation... from the
bottom up absolutely everything had to be re-done... starting with all
88 keys binding rather severly on the balance rail pin. Something rather
sticky had been used on the inside of the keypin holes... looked like it
was some kind of a graphiting by the color... but it was anything but
slick. Never could get that nice slow fall glide a key should show when
you lift it up a bit and let it climb back down the keypin. Even with a
good deal of protek. Glide bolts were way out of whack, treble showed 66
mm key to keybed, bass showed 63, and the hidden glide bolt in the bass
was turned all the way up... floating as it were.  Hammers very poorly
alligned, letoff and drop all over the place... you shoulda seen the
drop line...  etc etc etc... the whole regulation needed redoing. I dont
even want to talk about the voicing.

Point is that Yamahas had a rep for being really good out of the box
some years back.  According to this dealer this present example is not
uncommon.... seems to me Yamaha must be slipp'n then.   15 hours of prep
work is a lot to ask of a dealer.  They gotta pay somebody to do this,
and that cuts right into their profit.

Was curious to know if others are experiencing the same in other parts
of the world.

Cheers
RicB