Pinblock Plugging; was: woe on the boat,(block epoxy)

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:19:39 -0500

At 07:06 6/1/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Alan,
>
>On most pianos, yes, it would be easier to just replace the pinblock. But
>in cases where, as Ed stated "(the) block comprises the upper portion of
>the sounding assembly and there was no way to remove it without completely
>destroying the piano and starting from scratch" or in the situation like
>what I photographed, when the pinblock is mortised into the case around
>more than half its perimeter (you would have to come close to building a
>new exterior case for the square grand to remove and replace the
>pinblock), then plugging rapidly becomes an efficient approach.
>
>Terry Farrell
>
>Question (based on zero experience in this procedure): When you have do
>all that, wouldn't it be easier, faster, and cheaper just to start with a
>new piece of lumber?
>
>Alan Barnard
>Salem, Missouri

If you are fixated to the idea of using "a new piece of lumber" and want to
use your router, chisels and sweat, go for it!

You could rout/chisel out as much as you want and lay in new. Good luck
routing close to the sides/stretcher.

I've experimented, and (for me) it ain't worth it. Use plugs, and if an
exposed pinblock, veneer over.

I'm intermittently working on a Krakauer which is similar to S&S with
doweling down into the inner rim. The stretcher is also integral with the
pinblock but, unlike $&$, the underside is not flat. There is a cove for
fallboard clearance which extends back further than the leading edge of the
pinblock (by about an inch).  Construction sequence appears to be that the
pinblock/stretcher assembly with the nice cove was attached to the case/rim
with dowels and recessed corner brackets.

I suppose I could have sawn the old block back to the start of the cove and
prayed that:
- the plate screws weren't "in the crack"
- that whatever I used for a saw made a nice straight line parallel to the
stretcher
- the new block was the exact same thickness as the old to make vertical
fit easier
- fit/joined the new block to the old
- fit the new block to the plate
- had several fits along the way

I'm plugging away, thank you.

Conrad Hoffsommer
It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object realize that you are in a hurry.