AC variable power

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:13:49 -0700

Probable not.  Most motors used for buffers are of the type that can not =
be used in a variable speed mode.  These are ac only motors.  Reducing =
the voltage will burn them out and reduce power.

That said,  you could use belt ratio changes if it is belt driven.

Motors that can be speed controlled are the ac/dc type as used in vacuum =
cleaners, variable speed drills etc.  They are usually high speed, load =
sensitive and can be slowed down using a device similar to a lamp =
dimmer.  They build a device that is made just for that type of motor =
(Universal Motor) but a plain lamp dimmer will work but is more apt to =
burn out.

Air driven motors can work with air volume restriction but usually =
doesn't have much power at the restricted flow.

I'd start with a 1750 rpm motor and use pulleys to get the variable =
speed.  A large "O" ring type belt will be easier to change.  You can =
get those "O" ring belts at some vacuum cleaner shops or maybe at =
Grainger.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.

----- Original Message -----=20