Steinway O Redesign

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:15:33 EDT

Dear Belly heads
   Some months ago I started a project to answer a  question about the
parameters of the old S.S. O sound board design
    . I have always felt it's  board  design  deficient. It seemed that
occasionally I'd find an old well  preserved one here in CA that really sounded
quite good but most , even  under the best of circumstances had flat boards or
just lifeless tone. The  hazards of C. C. crowning aside, this narrow design
parameters & lack  luster tone I surmise  is one reason the model was changed in
1923  to the more successful square tail design of the L.
    The O I'm currently ushering out the door  this week has a redesigned
board . I added a modest straight cutoff bar. I  also added an extra rib for more
support in the treble so that in the first capo  section there are three ribs
supporting the killer octave.  These taller  less wide ribs are also fanned
into  the treble. There is no more killer  octave, no weak notes. It's strong &
clear with so much pop & power  & wonderful sustain. All sustain freaks
should welcome this.
  In the best pianos you & I have heard, the tone  floats & lingers with a
great bloom . I am very pleased this board design  really makes the O sing with
more power clarity & sustain than any I've  heard.. well except for maybe the
Newer German O's
  My brother Keith came into the shop & I played one  chord for him. He
looked at me in amazement & said "it sounds like the board  is just completely
free" A musician but he knows only what he hears &  nothing about soundboard
design!
  Truly gratifying. I hope the client appreciates it as  much as I do. If I
can find the pictures I'll send done or two.
  BTW this had a plate broken by Gorilla bros. It  was successfully repaired
by the Loch-n- stich folks in Turlock CA. 15 miles a  way . Convenient yes?

    Regards
  Dale Erwin