Steinway O Redesign

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:54:18 -0500

>     The O I'm currently ushering out the door this week has a
>> redesigned board . I added a modest straight cutoff bar. I also added
>> an extra rib for more support in the treble so that in the first capo
>> section there are three ribs supporting the killer octave.  These
>> taller less wide ribs are also fanned into  the treble.
>

> I believe all are worthwhile initiatives, the cut-off really helps the
> mid section of the treble bridge to gain in stiffness, improving the
> tonal focus - removing that boomy undertone that can often be heard in
> the middle register. It also results in shortened middle order ribs
> which have more of a chance of surviving more just the first few seasons.

Altogether good stuff.

> The first capo section for most conventionally bellied instruments,
> including the O, is the most grossly overloaded section of the entire
> board. The addition of an extra rib provides not only extra stiffness
> but extra mass. The mass increase will almost certainly help to yield
> more sustain.

As will the stiffness. In that part of the scale, stiffness still
has more affect than mass.

> Indeed, when we added rib extensions (which significantly increased the
> overall rib height) to the 1968 CF Yamaha we rebuilt recently, the
> increase in sustain in the first capo section was most noticeable.
> Strangely enough, it seemed to have improved power also. I can only put
> this down to the possibility that the stiffer/heavier panel had improved
> efficiency relative to the standard item. Theoretically, if the sustain
> is increased, the power at the first part of tonal development should
> decrease.

I've noticed this too. My current thinking is that the dieing of
tone in the middle of the envelope is more noticeable than the high
volume in the attack. A lower attack volume, and a higher middle
volume is perceived as a more powerful tone. At least that's
Thursday's take. We tend to evaluate impressions of the total,
rather than to break it down chronologically.

>>   In the best pianos you & I have heard, the tone floats & lingers
>> with a great bloom . I am very pleased this board design really makes
>> the O sing with more power clarity & sustain than any I've heard..
>

> Its a wonderful thing.

'Tis, and doable. I'm hooked.

Ron N