Goofy 1884 Chickering action advice sought.......

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:54:08 -0400

Gordon,
         Would a quick bolstering of the knuckles provide any addition in
hammer height. Seems like it would and restore some shape to the currently
flat knuckle. I might use several layers of felt strips of varying widths
in a pyramid shape and then water on the buckskin to shrink it over the new
felt. Seems like that couldn't take more than a half hour or so. If the
flanges are indeed propane torched then all bets are off and they need new
shanks and flanges. You can do what you'd like but if it were me I'd shy
away from the entire job if they didn't want to do it the right way. If the
centers are bad then it seems that you have no choice but to replace
shanks. What's your reputation worth?

best,
Greg