Steinway O Redesign

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:18:38 -0700

Careful, Dale. You're about to become a fanatic.

Del

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: June 09, 2005 7:16 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway O Redesign

   Dear Belly heads
   Some months ago I started a project to answer a question about the parameters
of the old S.S. O sound board design
    . I have always felt it's  board design  deficient. It seemed that
occasionally I'd find an old well preserved one here in CA that really sounded
quite good but most , even under the best of circumstances had flat boards or
just lifeless tone. The hazards of C. C. crowning aside, this narrow design
parameters & lack luster tone I surmise  is one reason the model was changed in
1923  to the more successful square tail design of the L.
    The O I'm currently ushering out the door this week has a redesigned board .
I added a modest straight cutoff bar. I also added an extra rib for more support
in the treble so that in the first capo section there are three ribs supporting
the killer octave.  These taller less wide ribs are also fanned into  the
treble. There is no more killer octave, no weak notes. It's strong & clear with
so much pop & power & wonderful sustain. All sustain freaks should welcome this.
  In the best pianos you & I have heard, the tone floats & lingers with a great
bloom . I am very pleased this board design really makes the O sing with more
power clarity & sustain than any I've heard.. well except for maybe the Newer
German O's
  My brother Keith came into the shop & I played one chord for him. He looked at
me in amazement & said "it sounds like the board is just completely free" A
musician but he knows only what he hears & nothing about soundboard design!
  Truly gratifying. I hope the client appreciates it as much as I do. If I can
find the pictures I'll send done or two.
  BTW this had a plate broken by Gorilla bros. It was successfully repaired by
the Loch-n- stich folks in Turlock CA. 15 miles a way . Convenient yes?

    Regards
  Dale Erwin