Front Rail Pin Measurements

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:47:37 -0400

Ummmm, a micrometer?

I know you are looking for more, but I just couldn't help myself! The =
balance rail pins are usually round, so yes, just mic them. The front =
rail pins are usually oval so place the micrometer on the pin and rotate =
it until you get the smallest measurement (you can usually eyeball the =
proper position pretty easily). Some pianos will have oval balance rail =
pins, and do them likewise.

Do you have a good micrometer? You'll need one.

I am one of those tool-heads that advocates buying high-quality tools. =
If you buy cheap you usually regret it. However, I have been using a $10 =
micrometer for many years now and for whatever reason is it dead =
accurate and has always worked like a charm. I bought it because I was =
just starting out, didn't feel like spending oodles of bucks on =
something I didn't know much about. I got lucky. =
http://www.wttool.com/p/1251-0005

Terry Farrell

  Hi everyone, just a quick question.

  How does one accurately mic front and balance rail pins?

  Thanks in advance,
  Matthew