Brown(e) action parts wanted...

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:02:38 -0400

>Okay, can anyone tell me definitely whether Brown(e) ends
>with an "e" or not? And who was he? And when did he live?
>And where did he work? Was he a Chickering designer? And
>what was his first name?

Edwin Brown of Brown & Hallet, ex-Chickering shop apprentice. After
patenting his action design in 1843 he went back to chickering as
foreman. According to Spillane he is "still alive at the venerable
age of 84". ;-)

Image of the Brown grand action at the bottom of this webpage
http://real.uwaterloo.ca/%7Esbirkett/piano%20action.htm
Click on the image for expanded detail.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115