Steinway O Redesign

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:34:45 EDT

>     This is very much the same effect as a singer  properly sustaining a
> note or a Mesa De voce style of singing where  the note being sustained
> intentionally starts at a lower volume  & is then expanded dynamically &
> then contracted. Only in the  pianos case the duration of the Mesa de voce
> is longer. It's a  wonderful effect .

It certainly is. I'm not sure the volume goes up  after the attack,
but a lot of other stuff sympathetically kicks in after  a second or
so when the soundboard doesn't waste what energy there  is. It
gets... richer, like expecting milk and getting a  shake.
  Ron
  I like this description better.   It's is like more horsepower Or a notch
higher or  whatever
 It's more better sounding.
than the Old design

I got the plate back last  Monday, looking like a
cinder. I'd loved to have done some needed  modifications, but It
wasn't being fixed - just un-broke. Spent two long  days and half of
a third filling, sanding, spraying, lettering, sweating,  and wishing
I was somewhere  else.
  This is one reason I prefer the loch-n- stich  repair.  These guys sell do
it yo sef repair kits & it doesnt' look  that tough even with the plate in the
piano. Of course there is still the  filling & usual body work  to attend to
after wards. I know people weld  plates but the guys at loch-n- stich say it
really isn't possible or at least  risky  Huh?  any way.

. He'll  get back
to me... Yea. Maybe the next one I get in will be a real job. I'm
curious how a mo-defiled M performs, but this one wasn't  it.
  I'm just doing up the rib scale & cut-off  on an M now & I'm also
interseted in the outcome.
  After the stupefying success of the O I my  enthusiasm is frankly
 re- energized.

Looking forward to KC to rest up for a couple of days. Might  even
get my hands clean by week's end.
   Have fun
   Dale

Ron  N