pocket pc

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:34:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/05 10:28:40 PM, Piannaman@aol.com writes:

> I might consider the CyperTuner Pocket PC software...are the Pocket PCs
> working well for techs on the List?

I had a Compaq PDA, a $350 one and purchased the CyberTuner Pocket version.
The PDA had so many bugs, I finally just gave up trying to use it to tune
pianos (or even as a date book).   The most prevalent problem was the screen not
accepting stylus info correctly.   You'd point at one spot on the screen and
it would register somewhere else.    I reformatted, I did soft restarts, hard
restarts, you name it.   It would be fine for a week or two and then start
again.   At one point, CyberTuner stopped working.   I noticed that the beeps and
warning sounds were playing back real fast and high in pitch.   I tried using
the record function and it worked fine.   Except when I played back an old
recording that I had made some weeks prior.   It played back like Mickey Mouse.
That's when I realized that it was reading A4 about 50cents flat, and that's
why it wouldn't register on the screen.   If you set A4 to be 50cents flat on
CyberTuner the wheel would blush.   I called Dean, and we reinstalled the
software and he determined it wasn't CyberTuner's fault.   HP gave me a bunch of
hoops to jump through, but they finally took the unit back and gave me a new
one.   At that point, though, I was tired of the game.   It's still sitting on
my desk in my studio, new and unused.   I don't know what I did with the
software.   I tried selling it back then, but got no offers.   Now, I'm not sure if
it's even retrievable.

It was the first step in my becoming an aural tuner, a decision I've never
regretted.   I also have a Palm PDA, another good decision.   No problems with
it going on two years now.

Tom Sivak
Chicago