Marking Rim Notches; was: Fish and whales

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:03:25 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_004F_01C57239.1BF26560
Gee willikers, you're the only one curious? It's a handy little way I =
devised to very accurately mark the inner rim with new rib locations for =
notching. Rather than marking and notching the rim directly from a =
design pattern and then trying to get the ribs mounted on the soundboard =
exactly correct so they line up with new notches, I build the soundboard =
from the design pattern first, and then notch the rim based on the rib =
locations on the completed soundboard.

This process was developed in part to solve the rib/notch alignment =
problem posed with building and installing a "Belly in a Box" package =
where the soundboard is built in my shop, but is installed in a =
different shop.

NOT that my soundboards EVER vary even a zillionth of a millimeter from =
design specifications, but....... (Hey, I'm talkin' real life here!)

First I tape off the rib ends so the PlayDough doesn't stick to the =
ribs.

Then I goober on a little wad of PlayDough about where each of the new =
rib ends will go and press the soundboard into place. The rib ends will =
imprint their exact locations into the Play Dough wads.

Mark the notch edges with a sharp chisel.

Scrape off the PlayDough and notch the rim in the usual manner.

Terry Farrell

> What's the purpose of the Play-Dough?
>=20
> Phil Ford