poor sustain

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:29:29 -0500

Ed,

Did you actually time the sustain of the plucked strings?  Check the pinning
of the hammer flanges, check the regulation.  Try moving the action in and
out a bit to see if the tone improves.  Needling on the shoulders (lower for
sustain, a little higher for bloom) should open it up.  Are the shanks
tapered in the section?  You can test to see if hammer weight is a problem
by taking a (or more) hammer assembly from a higher note and trying it the
section.

Have fun.

Barbara Richmond

Ed Carwithen