Rib Crowned Hamburgs ?

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:04:09 +0200

David,

I wrote my first reply to this in a bit of a hurry and left out a
comment I think needs making. I think if you read through the posts
written on this thread you will will see that

1:)  I reported that Steinway Hamburg evidently uses some degree of rib
crowning, quering just how much.
2:)  Both Terry, Ron N, and then myself pointed out that this in no way
dictates a lack of compression crowning.
3:)  In fact the Hamburg boards are compression crowned, despite the
presence of crowned ribs and modereate EMC levels prior to glueing the
ribs.

And once again.  I have never made any claims as to which kind of panel
sounds better then the others.  I have in fact adamently argued against
such claims made by others based on the subjective nature of
preferences.  What I have stated is that the differing methods are bound
to have differing acoustic results, and that all methods can be used
succesfully and indeed have been for well over a hundred years now.

I did not wish to solicitate any renewed discussion about the viability
of any method, or what is so-called <<better>>, or any kind of
manuvering around who has stood for what.  My report was simply for
yours and anyone else who may be interested edification.
Cheers
RicB

----------
David Love writes.

I ask because you had stated previously that it was your opinion that
compression crowning was necessary to achieve the type of tone that you
found to be the most to your liking.  You cited Hamburg Steinway as one
example of that.  Since it turns out that Hamburg Steinway is, as you
report, not compression crowning any more than the current group of rib
crowned and supported designers, I was just wondering if your sentiments
with respect to compression crowning as a requirement for superior tone
production remained unchanged.
David Love