Tuning price

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:07:27 -0500

Andrew said: "... the local rate here just does not creep up."

Nor will it ever. You have to forcibly, courageously jack it up. Don't wait for a schlock tooner to take the lead.

RPT's charging $50? I don't know your market but that rate hits me as borderline scandalous. Maybe if the pianos came to the tech--who could just sit there and tune one after another all day, and none would have extra problems, and nobody bothered him, no TV is running, no dogs are exploring his crotch, etc.--then $50 might be about right.

I certainly don't advocate creating friction with someone who is mentoring you (or anyone else, for that matter), but you three ought to do some research on local rates and have a SERIOUS discussion about fees: The philosophy, the market, your intestinal fortitude.

We frankly over-worry about accusations of price fixing, in my humble(?) opinion, and it holds down good, helpful discussions like we've had the last two days on the list. Do we not have non-PTG competitors? Does the market not create genuine limiting factors? It's only collusion if you own an absolute monopoly on the market or if PTG (at any level) officially set prices, even winkingly. But, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, ... DO be scrupulously ethical, observing PTG guidelines, as well as state and local laws, at all times.

Just for reference: I live in a very rural area (Ozarks) where there is considerable under-employment and, generally, a poor economy. I started tuning--full-time right from the start--with a Yamaha PT100 II ETD, a recently studied Potter course, and a little bravado, but no one to "show me the ropes." My fee at that time was $65.

I make it a point to always be the highest-rate tech in the area. Am I the best tuner? I'm not sure, probably not. It doesn't matter. I am always trying to be better, always trying to do my best, and always providing that little extra service.

People will have more respect for you, treat you better, and think of you more professionally when you get your rates UP. Also, you will gain better clients with better pianos. The ones that might drop off, you don't need anyway. This has been found true over and over and over again; and not just in the piano business, either.

Puff, pant ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri