Table saw recommendations?

Brad Smith staff@smithpiano.com
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:19:06 -0400

Hi Sarah,
My two cents...  or, my $1400...
I went through the process a few months back after having destroyed
my direct-drive table saw.
I chose Delta Unisaw, with extension table and mobile base for same.
The mobile base was 'free' with a coupon included in the purchase.
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4737
Delta has deals like this currently for all the X5 tools. It is 3HP, cuts
thru the maple like butter. You can go to 5HP, if your needs require.
Researching, I found so much good news about the Biesmeyer fence,
that I added it to my 'must have' criteria.
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=139&p=801
The fence makes the cuts jointer quality, EXACTLY where you want
them. The blade tilts to the left. I think it would accomodate a 12"
blade, not sure, check first.
Had to rewire the shop for 220V, but once you get to the larger saws,
most require it. I just got a nice dado set from Home Depot.
Diablo Stack Dado Saw Blade Set Model DD208

It's more saw than I currently need, but I plan to move into more
woodworking stuff as I gracefully age.
My new motto is: "Buy it right, and buy it once".
Great tools pay for themselves, and you'll rarely regret getting the
'good stuff'.

>From the videos below, I learned about making customized throat
plates for the various dado cuts; general woodworking and machine safety.
It's amazing what can be done with home made jigs and post-it note
shims. Mastering Woodworking Machines (Taunton Press) Mark
Duginske, Andrew Schultz
http://www.cambiumbooks.com/books/woodworking_machines/0-942391-98-5/
Mark Duginske has some good stuff on using the bandsaw for tenons,
with homemade fence, and paper shims to 'dial in' the thickness. He
does some dovetail joinery this way, that is really excellent.
DVD Mastering Your Table Saw (Taunton Press) Kelly Mehler
http://www.cambiumbooks.com/books/video-and-dvd/B0001KNH4K/
Great stuff on jigs, sliding miter box, cross cutting, safety, large piece
work, odd shape work in sliding jigs, etc. He makes some jigs using
plexiglass, which function as miter box, and blade guard.
After viewing these, I'm more skeptical about buying expensive add-on
gadgets. (That's saying a lot, since I am a serious tool junkie). To take
advantage of a full size cabinet saw and extension table, you definitely
need shop space. I'm using an old lightweight door as a table top for
the saw, when not in use. Then, I have positions and wall jigs to move
the table top for use as outfeed support. I actually enjoy the challenge
of making a small shop space function.
Dust collection gets most of it conveniently through the port in back of the
saw. Adding dust collection above the blade is my next step. In the Kelly
Mehler video, he uses a blade guard that extends out over the blade, for
cuts that require removal of the original guard.
Just for fun, you might also check out: http://www.sawstop.com/
They have an ingenius system that would save your fingers, should you
momentarily lose focus while cutting.
Another good motto:
"NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF A MOVING BLADE"
Good luck with your purchase!

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
 www.smithpiano.com