adjusting the capstans

Ron & Lorene Shiflet rlshiflet@cableone.net
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:07:51 -0700

You have a couple of options.  In stating this, I am assuming that the =
capstans are threaded underneath the parellel grooves.  If not, then =
option 2 isn't available.

1.  Replace the capstans altogether with the proper ones.  I would use =
this method.  Be advised that when you change designs, you must watch =
the variables.  For example, if these capstans are too long and the new =
ones are short, you might need to add a small wooden block or something =
to get the new capstans within a working distance.  Also, when selling =
the customer, you need to educate them that this design was done away =
with because it didn't work well.  'Antique lovers' tend to struggle =
with this concept, but they can be won over.  The adjustment tools =
aren't made anymore. =20

2.  Some of the modern hand tool manufacturers make a small tool to =
change parts with.  For example, I own a small Makita handheld metal =
grinder.  You can buy them for about $75.  Makita sends a small wrench =
to change out the wheels with.  The wrench has a crescent shape head to =
it with a small tub sticking out on one or both ends.  If the tools is =
small enough, it could be used to grab the capstan and turn it.  To go =
the other way, simply turn the tool upside down.  I'm pretty sure by =
taking a trip to a better hardware store, you can find something that =
will work. =20

Ron

=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20