Fw: Emailing: DSCF0015

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:03:43 -0400

Hi John, Roger and list,
         I hesitate to replay as all the offerings are roughly the same
insisting new capstans are the way to go. I don't think I'd differ in that
opinion necessarily but if I understand correctly it sounded as though this
wasn't going to receive a great deal of effort or money. Since I believe
that is the case I would suggest that the hammer butt buckskin might be
bolstered similarly the way we do grand knuckle when for one reason or
another they will not be replaced. Thread either wool yarn or thin felt
through the gap between the butt buckskin and the existing under felt and
that could, potentially, remove a great bit of the lost motion. Could be
fairly quick too!
It seems to me that if you try to move the existing capstans they will
become loose and worthless and then HAVE to be replaced.  Hope I'm not too
off base here but that's my story ...... and I'm stickin' to it!

best,
Greg