Hitch Pin Plate Drilling

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:06:57 -0700

Never mind.  Didn't read carefully enough.   I see that your drilled the
same size as the pin.  Does that work out?  When I've tried to drill out
for new pins it seems that the hole ends up slightly bigger than the
drill size and the pin is often slightly loose.  How should it be?
Should one be tapping them into a snug fit or do you worry about
stressing the cast iron if they are too tight.  Should they be secured
with epoxy?  What's the approach?
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Spalding
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 12:16 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Hitch Pin Plate Drilling

Terry,

Recently faced the same problem on my first and only vertical hitch pin
conversion.  Bass bichord hitch pins alternated fore and aft, but still
not enough space to make me feel comfortable picking a new location.
Old pins were reasonable tight, so I left them in place, ground them
flush with the top of the plate, and drilled the new holes down through
the center of the originals.  3/16 diameter (larger than the originals
at .156) and 9/16 deep (considerably deeper than originals).  Thus the
top and the bottom of the new hole are in fresh cast iron.    Needed the
drill press because the original pins were harder than surrounding cast
iron - couldn't push the drill in by hand.   See photo.  New pins will
be 3/16 x 1", with 7/16" exposed.  If I set the height of the new bass
bridge cap correctly, the loops will rest about 1/8 above the plate.

Mike